General Description and objectives of the position:
The Senior Project Officer will be responsible for the implementation of the INSPIRED+ project
INSPIRED+ is an EU funded project that supports local actors in nine (9) different countries in identifying, analysing and monitoring those domestic policies that hinder the full implementation of the UN and ILO conventions relevant to the EU’s Generalised Scheme of Preferences Plus (GSP+). The logic of intervention is based on the economic incentives that arise under the GSP+ which provides a unique window of opportunity to open and support spaces for policy dialogue between the government and other key stakeholders (namely civil society organisations (CSOs) and social partners).
Tasks will include the design, coordination and implementation of missions; communications regarding project activities and results; formulation of project materials and reports; day-to-day management of project resources including World Leadership Alliance – Club de Madrid (WLA – Club de Madrid) Member participation; development of partnerships with relevant current and new stakeholders and funders and the design of tools, procedures and activities to disseminate project results and ideas.
The Senior Project Officer will also lead efforts in project design, implementation and fundraising for new activity in the programmatic area of the INSPIRED+ project or others.
The Senior Project Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Programs Coordinator within the WLA – Club de Madrid Department of Programs and in close coordination with all other WLA – Club de Madrid Departments.
Location: Madrid (applicants must hold EU citizenship or valid work permit within the EU)
Duration: 18 months, with possible renewal subject to the availability of funding
Remuneration: Gross salary: 35,000€ – 37,000€ year
As a WLA – Club de Madrid’s employee, the Senior Project Officer will benefit from Spanish Social Security and public health care services
- Native level fluency in Spanish and English. Working knowledge of at least another language relevant for the position –French, Arabic- would be a significant added value.
- University and post-graduate degrees, preferably in political science, international affairs or other social sciences.
- More than 10 years of continued professional experience including at least 8 years in similar or related fields of work in governmental, intergovernmental and/or international non-governmental organizations. Specific experience on democracy promotion or governance will be an asset.
- Relevant experience in project design and implementation, including project proposal writing.
- Proven track record in fundraising for international development projects. Good knowledge of relevant funding sources in the democratic development field.
- Good knowledge of democratic development ‘universe’ and capacity to identify and develop relevant project partnerships.
- Political awareness, knowledge and interest in democratic development, international relations, geopolitics, civil society organizations, democracy promotion and human rights. Good capacity for political analysis.
- Excellent communication and writing skills. Ability to successfully communicate – orally and in writing – project objectives and results as well as to write about general political issues.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in the use of the MS Office Package and other relevant software tools.
- Ability to work autonomously and in a multicultural team.
- Excellent organizational, managerial, administrative and interpersonal skills, including the management of multicultural teams, as well as budget and asset management.
- Ability to work under pressure, meeting tight deadlines, prioritizing requests and needs.
- Capacity to undertake several tasks at the same time, prioritizing as needed and responding effectively.
- Availability to travel frequently.
- Energy, enthusiasm and commitment.
- Immediate availability.
In coordination with relevant WLA – Club de Madrid Secretariat senior staff, the Senior Project Officer’s tasks include, among others:
- Design, management and implementation of WLA – Club de Madrid project activities within the INSPIRED+ Project. For that purpose, the Senior Project Officer shall coordinate the participation of WLA – Club de Madrid Members and high level advisors in program and project activities, preparing and/or coordinating pertinent briefing materials and subsequent reports.
- In cooperation with high level local experts, develop mission agendas and coordinate meetings between WLA – Club de Madrid Members, experts and key national stakeholders.
- Identify national and international institutions with whom to forge relevant and effective partnerships to enhance project activities and advance project goals. The Senior Project Officer shall be responsible for the definition and management of these partnerships.
- Act as contact point for third parties interested in the program, providing information on program goals and activities.
- Ensure that the WLA – Club de Madrid website is updated with the project’s latest documents and information.
- Produce briefing books, talking points and background material for the participation of WLA – Club de Madrid members, experts and senior staff in WLA – Club de Madrid project-related activities and events.
- Prepare intermediate and final narrative reports for the projects under his/her management
- Document and keep track of all mission outputs and results so that they can be considered in ensuing activities, as appropriate.
- Coordinate with the appropriate department all logistical arrangements for Members and experts travel and participation in program activities and events.
- Follow-up of projects’ and grants’ budgets with the support of the finance department.
- The Senior Project Officer will also support efforts of project design and fundraising of related WLA – Club de Madrid project and initiatives. With this objective the Senior Project Officer will be responsible for the preparation and submission of proposals to potential funders.
- Others as necessary and determined during project implementation or as needed by the organization and senior staff for the effective implementation of his/her responsibilities.
The WLA – Club de Madrid
The World Leadership Alliance – Club de Madrid (WLA – Club de Madrid) is an independent organization whose purpose and priority is to contribute to strengthening democracy in the world. The WLA – Club de Madrid acts as a consultative body for governments, democratic leaders, and institutions involved in processes of democratic transition. The political and leadership experience of its members – more than 100 democratic former heads of state and government – in processes of democratic transition and consolidation is the WLA – Club de Madrid’s unique resource and main asset. Along with the experience and cooperation of other high level political practitioners and governance experts, this resource is a working tool to convert ideas into practical and feasible recommendations and action plans for implementation. For additional information on the WLA – Club de Madrid, please go to: www.clubmadrid.org
To show interest, please send a CV and a cover letter to:
by June 5, 2017
please indicate in the subject line “Senior Project Officer”
The WLA – Club de Madrid welcomes all indications of interests.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted