General Description and objectives of the position:
The Program Officer’s main responsibility will be to support the area of programs in the process of transition from the current programmatic strategy towards the new programmatic strategy 2020‐2022.
The Program Officer may also be responsible for the management of specific projects or activities as needed. This includes the coordination and implementation of project activities; communications regarding project missions and results; formulation of project materials and reports; day‐to‐day management of project human and financial resources including World Leadership Alliance ‐ Club de Madrid (WLA‐CdM) Member participation; development of partnerships with relevant current and new stakeholders and funders.
The Program Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Programs Coordinator within the WLA‐CdM Department of Programs and in close coordination with other Program Officers and all other WLA‐CdM Departments.
Location: Madrid (Applicants must hold EU citizenship or valid work permit within the EU)
Duration: Contract will start on January 2019 and last until December 2019 (it is expected that the new programmatic strategy will be approved before that date). Possible extension depending on availability of resources.
Remuneration: Commensurate with experience. Range: 26,500 – 28,500 €/year (gross)
- Native in English or Spanish, and good level in another language. Other language skills – particularly French or Arabic– will be a plus.
- University Degree preferably in Political Science, another social science or international affairs. Master’s Degree or post graduate studies desirable.
- At least 7 years of continued professional experience, with a minimum of 5 in similar or related fields of work in governmental, intergovernmental and/or international non‐governmental organizations. Specific experience in the field of social inclusion and diversity management (work with minorities, immigrants, ethnic or religious groups) will be an added value.
- Political awareness, knowledge and interest in democratic development, international relations, geopolitics, civil society organizations, human rights and specifically in social inclusion matters.
- Good capacity for political analysis and capacity to identify and develop relevant project partnerships.
- Experience in project design & implementation, including proposal writing, and fundraising.
- Excellent organizational and administrative abilities.
- Great communication and writing skills. Ability to successfully communicate – orally and in writing ‐ project objectives and results as well as to write about general political issues.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritizing requests and needs.
- Ability to work autonomously and in a multicultural team; take initiative and meet deadlines.
- Availability to travel frequently.
- Immediate availability.
In coordination with relevant WLA‐CdM Secretariat staff, the Program Officer’s tasks include, among others:
- Participate in the strategic exercise for the revision and evaluation of the programming of the organization.
- If so required, coordinate and manage specific projects. This implies, among other duties, to:
- Coordinate the participation of WLA‐CdM Members, high level advisors and experts in project activities, preparing mission agendas.
- Act as focal point for the project.
- Produce briefing books, talking points and background material for the participation of WLA‐CdM members, high level advisors, experts and senior staff in project‐related and outreach activities.
- Prepare intermediate and final project reports.
- Coordinate with the appropriate department all logistical arrangements for Members and experts travel and participation in program activities and events.
- Coordinate a visibility strategy and tools for the project. In coordination with the communications department.
- Follow‐up of projects’ and grants’ budgets with the support of the finance department.
- Others as necessary.
The World Leadership Alliance Club de Madrid:
The WLA‐CdM is an independent organization whose purpose and priority is to contribute to strengthening democracy in the world. The WLA‐CdM acts as a consultative body for governments, democratic leaders, and institutions involved in processes of democratic transition. The political and leadership experience of its members – more than 100 democratic former heads of state and government ‐ in processes of democratic transition and consolidation is the WLA‐CdM’s unique resource and main asset. Along with the experience and cooperation of other high level political practitioners and governance experts, this resource is a working tool to convert ideas into practical and feasible recommendations and action plans for implementation. For additional information on the WLA‐CdM, please go to: www.clubmadrid.org
To show interest, please send a CV and a cover letter to:email@example.com
by December 7, 2018
indicating in the subject line “Program Officer”
The WLA‐CdM welcomes all indications of interests.
Only short‐listed candidates will be contacted